Fungible / Non-Fungible Pavilion by iheartblob © Estonian Architecture Centre
4 June 2023
GRANTS AVAILABLE FOR UK AND INTERNATIONAL BIENNALES AND FESTIVALS. DEADLINE TO APPLY 18.00 BST, 31 JULY 2023
The British Council’s Architecture, Design and Fashion team has supported presentations by UK architects and designers across ten international platforms since 2016 through our biennales and festivals grants.
We’re awarding grants of up to £5,000 to support biennales and festivals in the UK to present work by international designers, and biennales and festivals outside the UK to present work by UK designers.
Biennales and festivals outside the UK wishing to showcase work by UK-based designers, or UK biennales and festivals wishing to showcase work by international designers are eligible to apply.
Grants are not designed for research and development, but to facilitate implementation of activities, such as collaborations and exchanges, or exhibitions and installations. The grant can be used to support travel costs, production costs, as well as other miscellaneaous costs associated with the showcasing of work.
Priority will be given to:
- activities either taking place in Official Development Assistance (ODA) recipient countries (for biennales and festivals outside the UK) or with designers based in those countries (for UK biennales and festivals). A limited number of grants will be available to support collaboration outside this group of countries;
- projects involving designers in early stages of their career, i.e. within 10 years of practice;
- projects that foster collaboration between UK-based and international designers.
TERMS OF THE GRANT
Grants will be offered by the British Council’s Architecture Design Fashion team to the biennale/festival organiser to cover costs in relation to the participation of architects or designers. The value of each grant should be up to £5,000. An estimated total of 8-10 grants will be offered in Financial Year 2023-24.
The British Council’s support must be acknowledged alongside the UK presentation and on all promotional materials, including social media. Upon completion of the activity, applicants will be required to supply attendance figures and a project report. A grant agreement will be issued with detailed terms and conditions.
Biennale or festival organisers to supply information on designers selected to present work, funding expenditure and plans for audience engagement. Activity must take place between August 2023 and July 2024.
Online application form must be completed by 18.00 BST, 31 July 2023 and should include:
- supporting documentation on the activity and biennale/festival, e.g. reports or presentations about the biennale/festival;
- examples of designer’s work;
- letter of support by participating designer;
- completed diversity monitoring form (for UK applicants only).
Selection will be led by the British Council’s Architecture, Design and Fashion team in consultation with British Council offices. Applicants will be notified of the outcomes by 15 August 2023.