© Basma Khalifa, Karmakol International Festival, Sudan
We are excited to announce a Sub-Saharan Africa research grant, an opportunity for UK-based Creative Organisations, Curators and Programmers to travel, scope and connect with potential partners in Sub-Saharan Africa between May 2020 and March 2021. The call is open from 16 January until end of day 6 April 2020.
Scoping may take the form of:
- meeting with potential artists and partners
- finding out more about your chosen art forms’ ecosystem in another country or countries
- gaining an understanding of art trends in Sub-Saharan Africa
- meeting arts organisations and/or attending events and festivals with a view to programming or
- curating African artists and their work in the UK.
We will award up to 9 grants of £2,500 (each) to UK-based Creative Organisations, Curators and Programmers specializing in Visual Arts, Literature, Music, Theatre, Dance, Architecture, Design, Fashion and Film to connect with peers and potential partners in Botswana, Ethiopia, Ghana, Kenya, Malawi, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Nigeria, Rwanda, Senegal, Sierra Leone, South Africa, South Sudan, Sudan, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia and Zimbabwe.
Successful applicants must meet the following criteria:
- be a UK based Creative/ Arts organisation, Curator or Programmer with a proven track record of working with international partners to deliver collaborative arts programmes
- have minimum 3 years professional experience in your artistic discipline and the creative sector
- have a basic knowledge of the artistic discipline in the region which is being visited (the British Council will provide support in sense-checking the travel programme and itinerary)
- demonstrate a clear rationale for the research they want to undertake
- demonstrate a commitment to our British Council values.
In addition, applicants should
- commit to programme a UK public forum to share/disseminate the research findings, this can either be done online or in-person (see Notes on page 6 for examples)
- have a valid passport for travel
- obtain a valid visa for travel (if required)
- obtain valid travel insurance
- be available to use the grant between May 2020 and March 2021.
How to apply
FURTHER DETAILS AND INFO ON HOW TO APPLY CAN BE FOUND HERE
On the web