Photograph by Simon Mills
15 March 2019
Apply for the temporary role of Team Assistant within the Architecture, Design and Fashion team at the British Council and support the team's work creating links between designers and cultural institutions around the world, through a diverse range of projects across the three disciplines.
Deadline: 28 March
This is an exciting opportunity to take on the role as Team Assistant in the Architecture, Design & Fashion department for six months. This role supports all aspects of the work of the ADF team and is the first point of contact for UK design sector professionals. The main responsibilities include working as a project assistant on two or three projects a year, organising travel and visas, preparing guest lists and making arrangements for internal and external events.
The main areas of focus for the role are:
- Programme and team administrative support - Assists with social media, communications and website maintenance. You will also provide general administrative and logistical support to ensure the smooth and efficient delivery of ADF Team activities e.g. organising meetings, preparing itineraries and diary management for senior colleagues when required.
- Customer/market focus - Takes responsibility for responding knowledgeably and professionally to enquiries about the British Council’s design work within the Arts sector to ensure a high quality customer experience and maintain the team’s reputation internally and externally.
- Sector/subject expertise - Proactively maintains a sound working knowledge of major developments, issues and stakeholders within the design sector to build professional credibility, confidence and market insight.
- Relationship & stakeholder management - Develops good working relationships with appropriate colleagues throughout the British Council and in the design sector to facilitate effective development and delivery of design programmes and the organisation’s British Council’s Arts agenda.
- Financial and contract management support - Administers British Council financial processes and procedures to enable effective budget and resource management for the team, e.g. finance and business system, procurement processes including preparation and issuing contracts, and production of regular financial reports.
- Leadership & management - Plans and prioritises own work activities.
What we require of the successful candidate:
- Experience of office administration for example organising travel, events and diary management and is confident in using social media
- Experience of financial procedures.
- Demonstrable knowledge of and interest in UK design sector.
If you are interested in the post and feel that you are suitable for the role, then we would really like to hear from you. Please apply by Thursday 28th March 2019 at 23:59 UK time.
We aim to hold interviews the week commencing 8th and/or 15th April 2019.
For the full role profile and to apply, please click here.
About the British Council
In the Architecture Design Fashion team we use our connections and understanding of the UK contemporary design sectors to advise and support our international colleagues on working with design within cultural relations programmes and provide a link to the UK. Together we develop projects to encourage showcasing, collaboration and professional exchange. We work in partnership with artists, designers and curators to build relationships between the architecture, design and fashion communities in the UK and around the world.
The British Council was founded to create ‘a friendly knowledge and understanding’ between the people of the UK and wider world by making a positive contribution to the countries we work with, and in doing so making a lasting difference to the UK’s international standing, prosperity and security. The programmes we use to do this are wide-ranging and cover the arts, education, English, science and society.