5 February 2018
Arts Council Tokyo is inviting innovative and creative project proposals from the artists and organisations in Japan and overseas.
The selected projects will play a central role in the Tokyo Tokyo FESTIVAL launching in April 2020 as part of the Tokyo Metropolitan Government and Arts Council Tokyo's 'Tokyo Cultural Program' initiative. The aim of the 'Tokyo Cultural Program' is to encourage interest and participation in arts and culture in Japan, looking towards 2020 and in order to inspire future generations. To accomplish this goal, Arts Council Tokyo is calling artists, designers, architects and organisations to submit plans and ideas for the Tokyo Cultural Program to be implemented from the autumn of 2019 to September 2020.
Genre: music, play, dance, visual art such as painting and sculpture, photography, literature, media arts (e.g. video art, comic, anime, and game), traditional performing art, lifestyle culture (e.g. the tea ceremony, the Japanese art of flower arrangement, Japanese calligraphy, and cuisine culture), fashion, architecture, and multiple art activities not limited to any particular genre.
Proposals are expected to address the following objectives:
- Impactful creation
Providing a high-quality experience or project which promotes Tokyo as a metropolis brimming with cultural life, raising challenging ideas to lead arts and culture in the 21st century, being artistic and topical, and being able to appeal to both Japanese and international audiences inside and outside Japan.
- Involvement of any and all people
Being open to anyone, regardless of generation, nationality, and/or disability to participate, having well-planned participation scheme or program so as to provide participants with a memorable experience.
- Expansion of the potential of the arts
Using the potential of Art to address social issues.
Scale of the project: The budget assigned to projects will go up to 200 million yen. However, the total scale of the project can also use other sources of funding such as sponsorship or your own money.
Location: Tokyo metropolitan district
- A proposal should include where to perform a project.
- A proposal not specifying place but indicating conditions or scale of the place is also acceptable, e.g. "an outdoor space with an area of XX square meters" or "an indoor venue with a capacity of YY people".
- After an application passes the first selection stage, feasibility and suitable venues will be explored together with the Tokyo Tokyo FESTIVAL. Project Proposals Secretariat, such as an available location, period, methods of use, and alternative solutions. This also applies to the use of facilities owned by the Tokyo Metropolitan Government (i.e. the metropolitan office buildings, parks, and halls).
Period: an idea/plan is to be implemented between the autumn of 2019 and September 2020.
How to Apply
Please download and fill in the designated application form here and submit it before 28 February 2018.
For more information please visit the official website. If you have any enquiries please check the official Q&A or contact the Public Call for Tokyo Tokyo FESTIVAL Project Proposals Office, Arts Council Tokyo firstname.lastname@example.org.