© Future Architecture
20 November 2015
by Dapinder Chahal
Future Architecture is the first pan-European platform of architecture museums, festivals and producers, bringing ideas on the future of cities and architecture closer to the wider public. Opening up a broad discussion, 14 European organisations have joined forces to create a platform that is looking for visions from individuals and collectives to rethink the future of architecture in Europe.
The Future Architecture Platform has launched an open call for ideas in order to communicate the social, environmental, economic and design potentials of architecture to the widest possible audiences across Europe. They are seeking aspiring individuals from various disciplines to present and apply new ideas both on architecture today and what we should expect in the near future. The call is open not only to architects but also to urban planners, curators, landscape architects, designers, artists, filmmakers and any other emerging professionals who think, explore, engage and shape our living environment.
The platform builds on the social mission of European architecture as a fundamental cultural force that has the potential to improve our quality of life. Join us to rethink and envision architecture as a human-centred activity, one that has the transformative potential to address and solve problems that extend far beyond building.
How it works?
- The call for ideas will close on 20th December 2015.
- By 20th January 2016: platform institution members and the general public will select applicants on the basis of their ideas from various creative disciplines. These will help build new and engaging visions and nurture relationships between architecture and, in this case, the Future Architecture platform’s network of museums and festivals.
- 18–20 February 2016: selected applicants will be invited to participate at the Future Architecture kick-off conference on at MAO (Museum of Architecture and Design), Ljubljana, where they will be invited to pitch their idea, present their vision for a future architecture. From the pitch of ideas, they will select a limited number of participants to become a part of the Future Architecture programme of exhibitions, conferences, lectures and workshops that will run between 1 March and 31 October 2016 across Europe.
The platform will cover the travel (inside EU) and accommodation costs of the selected participants for the kick-off conference. Platform members will cover travel (inside EU) accommodation costs, and provide an honorarium for those makers and creators who are selected to participate in the platform programme.
Who can apply?
• you are under 40 years of age as of the first day of the open call
• you can document professional achievements (works, commissions, exhibitions, publications, reviews, grants, awards)
• your last work is not older than 2 years
• your work has not been widely recognised or established by critics, curators or producers (they are looking for emerging, upcoming talents that have not yet enjoyed wider recognition in Europe).
Where to apply?
Who are Future Architecture Platform?
Coordinating entity: Museum of Architecture and Design (MAO), Ljubljana (SI)
Members: Oris House of Architecture, Zagreb (HR), Museum of Architecture in Wrocław (PL), Belgrade International Architecture Week (RS), National Museum of XXI Century Arts, Rome (IT), House of Architecture, Graz (AT), Copenhagen Architecture Festival (DK), Tirana Architecture Week (AL), Design Biotop, Ljubljana (SI), Lisbon Architecture Triennale (PT), Ruby Press, Berlin (DE); Swiss Architecture Museum, Basel (CH), Prishtina Architecture Week (RKS), CANactions, Kiev (UA)